In 1945 the Palazzo Mocenigo di San Stae, with the archive and part of the furnishings, was donated by testamentary disposition to the Municipality of Venice by Alvise Nicolò, the last descendant of the noble Venetian family, to be used "for the Art Gallery, upon completion of the Correr Museum “. At the end of the seventies, on the death of his wife Costanza Faà di Bruno, the rooms on the first noble floor with fresco decorations and furnishings, mostly from the eighteenth century, arrived at the Civic Museums of Venice. In 1985, after substantial restoration work, the Mocenigo apartment was opened to the public as a museum, without losing the charm and atmosphere of the lived-in house. In the same year the Study Center for the History of Textile and Costume was established in Palazzo Mocenigo (now the Study Center for the History of Textile, Costume and Perfume), hosting the extensive textile and ancient clothing collections of the Civic Museums - mainly from the Correr, Guggenheim, Cini, Grassi collections - and a specialized library, always open, in which the important collection of over 13,000 sketches from the 18th to the 20th century stands out. The itinerary of the museum, completely renovated and enlarged in 2013, winds through twenty rooms on the first noble floor, doubling the exhibition areas opened in 1985. The environment as a whole evokes different aspects of the life and activities of the Venetian aristocracy between the 17th and XVIII century, and is populated by mannequins wearing precious ancient clothes and accessories belonging to the Study Center of the History of Textile and Costume. Fashion and customs, with particular reference to the history of the city, therefore immediately characterize the museum's research and exhibition activity, in the environmental context of the noble Mocenigo palace.
top of page
bottom of page